Copyright © shannylam
Design by Dzignine
Tuesday, June 9, 2015

WEEK 12 & 13 | Individual Milestone & Final Group Presentation

After completing the modelling process of the interior of the crane cabin, the exterior shape of the cabin needed to be done. Texturing was also tested to separate the glass area.
I also tested the FBX files to see if they would import properly into UE4, however the textures do not appear. Luckily, Andrew knew much more about the program than I did and was able to fix it and make it look good.

(from about 0:50 it was an attempt to model the bar for the windscreen wiper to sit however we scratched this part as the exported FBX file was already sent to Andrew, who had already worked on texturing the crane in UE4).

Andrew's screenshot of the crane in UE4

With a lot of pressure on Andrew to complete the final few stages (he was in charge of the UE4 side -i.e. importing the FBX models, ensuring that they are textured realistically, implementing the first person views - and Oculus testing), Dara & I decided to meet up and work together on figuring out how to implement decals on objects in UE4 as we thought it could come in handy to make the cabins look more realistic (e.g. dirt, mud splatters etc). We followed this tutorial and the chronolapse of what we captured:

To further development, we thought it would be handy to learn how to get materials to blink/flash for the buttons in the crane/excavator. However, due to UE4 being a new software, there were limited documentation and tutorials available and we struggled to achieve what we wanted. We attempted to follow this tutorial that we found by guessing what the nodes stood for, and what we needed to type into UE4 to bring up the right node. In the end this ultimately failed and the idea was scrapped.


Final group presentation!
Our group decided to collaborate our ideas into google slides, this way everyone can contribute and input photos and text.
With it being our final presentation as a group we agreed to find a template to present our work.
I found Perdita, a sensible and simple template which ended up looking great once all of our own information was transferred over to it.

We split the presentation into parts, allocating roles for the slides. 
Daniel - introduction, problem, client, process, allocations
Dara - 3Ds Max (why?, modelling process, texturing process), opportunities
Andrew - Unreal Engine 4, why?, texturing process, limitations in UE4, demonstration
Matthew - Gantt chart (original, updated, actual), limitations as a group
Myself (I did not personally present) - scribe.

Questions that we were asked revolved a lot around UE4 issues and how Andrew overcame them. 

As part of the presentation we required participants to test the Oculus Rift, immersing themselves in our environment that we have collaborated and worked on as a group.
The aim of the project was to outline and show users how dangerous using one of the construction vehicles can be on a Hong Kong construction site.
In the end, participants all agreed that they did not feel safe while being immersed into the environment because there were a lot of dangers that they have missed purely because it was impossible to see them. This included:
  • Simple factors like the reflection of the glass that they are looking through, it ultimately affected their vision 
  • Blind spots/dangerous objects (and people) that can not be seen at all whilst in the cabin of the vehicles
From Russell, he found it engaging when the dangers of the construction site were outlined, emphasising on the fact that the visibility whilst in those vehicles were quite difficult (correctly presenting the initial project problem).

Criticisms (from Russell):
  • He found an inconsistency in scale jumping between the vehicles. Russell said that the truck was particularly off and different from the crane & excavator.
  • The orientation appeared incorrect
  • If we could make it more user friendly in terms of not having to be told where to look once the Oculus is put on
  • An idea - to have the dangers outlined in UE4 via glowing material, e.g. glowing people or glowing dangerous steel beams.

Driving Machine
The presentation provided very in-depth development & processes in which the group had taken to complete the project, it emphasised on the idea that their project facilitates repeatability and it achieved it very well. The demonstration seemed to work smoothly however I did not see the truck being in use through the demo although it was discussed about in the presentation.

Aerial Ropeway
I found this project particularly interesting, especially the website that they have displayed all of their information on - it was user friendly and easy to navigate. Initially I was the most unsure about this project's outline but after hearing about the clients' needs I felt that they have met - if not, exceeded - the client's expectations. The project itself was well thought out and was considerate in all aspects, the presentation was great in that Lukas and Dominique did a brilliant job in its execution. They were obviously very knowledgable and passionate about their project and the final product was brilliant.

Marker Project
This project was one that I was most eager to see as it was a design project. I loved their concepts and their final designs were great! What particularly engaged me were the concepts, and the way that had motivated their design was really good to see. The interactivity segment was good to see however I would have been satisfied without that part.

Virtual Museum
I thought the final product was great, it worked seamlessly on the iPad that they had passed around the room for each student. Throughout the semester I found this group to be very strong and it is evident in their full project development that they worked and collaborated very well especially after the swift brief change that occurred quite late in the semester.



Post a Comment